Friday, August 19

Chocolate is Healthy. Myth?

Have you been hearing of the health benefits from eating chocolate? Are you eating more chocolate now because of the reports?

Well, I am too. But only the dark chocolate. Less fat and calories. Right?

What bothers me is the lack of proof. I know the cocoa bean is wonderfully rich in antioxidant Flavanols. But I also know this substance is bitter. So how do we determine the good stuff is actually in these good tasting candy bars? Where does it say so on the label? And how much? I have my doubts. So I eat a little in moderation.

How about the lady who is now eating chocolate without guilt because its now ' healthy' ?? She gained four pounds the first month..!! One pound per week. And she can't even be sure of the health benefit because who knows how much Flavanol, if any, is in that particular candy bar? We know the cocoa bean is full of antioxidants but how do we know how much of the good stuff ends up in our candy bar?

Besides, gaining a pound per week is not healthy. So how do we know if we actually come out ahead? Do the flavanols, if any, offset the fat and calories of all these processed chocolate candy bars?

Flavanols are important to me but I really don't have to eat chocolate to get them. Take green tea, for example. It too has them and some of us drink a lot of tea. There are many ways of getting antioxidants without also getting a lot of fat. I also drink a lot of grape juice. And know also that even the humble apple has a supply of Flavanols.

No comments: